TSE acquired the Sydney Kings in 2018. Not to jock sniff or feed our egos; it was a fundamental part of our business strategy to showcase credentials and leverage the sports ownership opportunity to grow our core business.
While it was strategic, we committed passionately to deliver on-court success and build a supportive culture around the club, which focused on the well-being, growth and opportunities for players and club personnel.
The on-court and commercial success of the team, including back-to-back championships in 2022 and 2023, showcase our credentials in sport.
We have taken a long-term, realistic view and continue to create structural and cultural change to drive positive, sustainable outcomes for the Sydney Kings.
WHAT WE DID
- Key personnel appointments including CEO and coaching staff
- Creative: videography, photography and social media strategy
- Marketing: bums on seats, membership and brand growth
- PR and business comms
- Sponsorship and hospitality sales
- Merchandise sales
- Community program development
- Bricks and mortar
WHAT WE’VE ACHIEVED SO FAR
GREW AVERAGE ATTENDANCE
- We drove an average crowd of 10,307 fans per game in the 2022/2023 season
RECORD KINGS MEMBERSHIP SALES
- Grew membership 185% since taking ownership
BIGGEST CROWD IN NBL HISTORY
- We drove a two back-to-back sell out crowds in 2023, breaking the NBL’s all-time attendance record twice (18,049 and 18,124)
- New major sponsor partners and growth across the partnership program
WHAT’S DIFFERENT ABOUT OUR APPROACH
Importantly, we identified that a sustainable business model would require diversification to ensure the business wasn’t reliant on on-court performance and could sustain challenges like the global pandemic.
Hoops Capital is our answer to that challenge – a multi-faceted basketball business with owned facilities, a basketball academy, two professional teams (Sydney Kings and Sydney Flames) to leverage basketball as a lifestyle through music, fashion, and art projects.
Learn more here >